Sunday, March 27, 2011

Everyday Chickpea-Quinoa Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette

Appetite for Reduction
Isa's first recipe and my first attempt. Pretty easy and I thought it turned out well. I tried to skimp and not use the whole recipe of dressing, but I think it can take it, the quinoa will absorb it just fine. Remember to make the quinoa the day before and soak the cashews (for the dressing). I didn't see her mention that you need to rinse quinoa first before you cook it otherwise it will be bitter (for those of you new to this grain). Quinoa is wonderful and easy to cook, a whole grain with protein that cooks in 15 minutes–the ease of white rice but so much better for you. I used a quinoa mix that has a couple different colors and both Romaine and Red-leaf lettuce.

I could see adding some garlic, basil or tofu as she suggests, but the tofu might be overkill with protein for me.

Update 2/24/11: I had leftovers of this for lunch today and I added some perfectly ripe avocado. Yes! That was a good idea! Onions have become problematic for my DH (Darling Husband) so I will need to make a lot of these dishes without finely chopped onion (and add it to mine as I eat it) or slice it in big chunks so he can pick it out easily. Final update: We've determined, oddly enough, that quinoa is also a culprit for the DH, so I won't be making this for him again. But I will make it for myself and company.

Did the DD eat it? No. "I don't like garbanzo beans."
Would I make this again? Yes, I love this salad and the dressing. Great for a brunch.
Rating: Salad: 5 out of 5 Forks
Rating: Dressing: 5 out of 5 Forks

No comments:

Post a Comment