Saturday, March 26, 2011

Bistro Broccoli Chowder

This is another easy soup to make. Amazingly, I had the parsnips on hand that the recipe calls for. I've never eaten a parsnip in my life (knowingly). I had bought them to try a raw mock tuna recipe that I never got around to making. I used soy milk instead of almond milk since that's what I had in the fridge. I had dried rosemary in the cupboard, but I walked down to my neighbor's house to pick some fresh for the garnish. It was in flower, so I picked a little of that, too.

I like this soup, although the parsnip flavor does come through–maybe it's an acquired taste. While I don't dislike it, but don't love it, either. I only had 1/3 pound of parsnip and the recipe called for 1/2 pound. Isa even says you can just put in more potato if you don't have parsnip. Since I have a ton of frozen broccoli on hand, I think I'll make a big batch of this and freeze it–just omitting the parsnip. (I guess my parents were not into root vegetables. I did not grow up eating turnips or rutabagas, either.)

I used my hand blender to blend and I think I'll put some in the Vitamix to see what it's like super-blended and creamy. Maybe even try a little soy creamer in it.

See these other posts for info on making your own almond milk (it's so easy) and more about parsnips, turnips and rutabagas.

Did the DD eat it? I didn't even make her try it.
Would I make this again? Yes, I liked it and it's an easy dish to make. I might omit the parsnip in the future. Or I'll develop a taste for it!
Rating: 4 out of 5 Forks (or spoons in this case!)

No comments:

Post a Comment