Saturday, April 28, 2012

Hawaiian Chickpea Teriyaki


Even though it's a little reminiscent of all those restaurant teriyaki dishes we've had to endure as vegetarians (you younger folk may have missed that era), this dish goes beyond "Let's throw some teriyaki sauce on vegetables and call this a vegetarian dish."

I like some sweetness in my food, and this satisfies me. The dish I created for the photo had just a little spinach on it for effect, but in reality, I would heap a whole bunch of spinach (or any other kind of green) on some rice and top it with the nice hot chickpeas to wilt it a little. Throw it in the micro or steam the greens if you want them cooked a little more.

One change I would make to the recipe is to double the amount of sauce. Lindsay says this recipe serves 2, but with this amount of garbanzo beans, it could easily be stretched to 4, especially with enough rice and a handful of greens. I might also add a little more water or other liquid to the sauce since mine seemed to evaporate quickly and didn't leave me with as much sauce as I would have liked to spoon over the whole dish. So maybe even triple the sauce amounts.

I don't keep szechuan sauce at my house, but I whisked together a quick bit (no real recipe) with some agave, dried pepper flakes, tiny bit of sesame seed oil, apple cider vinegar, some powdered garlic, powdered ginger and a bit of sriracha sauce. I used a teriyaki sauce similar to "Soy Vay" (the Trader Joe's brand).

I used a sweet salsa I had in the cupboard–peach and mango–which further enhanced the sweet side of this dish.

This would be a great meal to throw together at the last minute and really impress someone. Most or all of the ingredients can be kept in your cupboard–bottled teriyaki, bottled szechuan, canned garbanzos and a jar of salsa. You could even keep some of the pre-cooked rice on hand (I've seen it at Trader Joe's) and then just heat the beans with the sauces and throw it all together with some fresh greens! Voila! (Or "Viola!" as Phoebe would say.)


Did the DD eat it? She won't eat garbanzo beans anymore...so she did not try this.
Would I make this again? Yes
Rating: 5 out of 5 Forks (with some changes–more sauce!)

No comments:

Post a Comment