Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Lentil Tacos

 
 Lentil Tacos, Unprocessed, p. 106

This is pretty tasty, actually, and I liked it. DD wouldn't eat it (she said she tasted it). DH was off to hockey tonight. It's pretty sweet–maybe it's the onion. I was a little shy of a cup of lentils, and I substituted a can of chopped tomatoes for salsa.

It's an easy crock pot recipe but I think 8-12 hours is way too long. My lentils were cooked, but still pretty wet after 4 hours. I turned it down, then back up at the end to boil off some liquid.) You can put this in taco shells or on salads.

I made mine into a tostada first (lightly buttered the tortilla then baked in toaster oven), then used about 1/3 cup of the lentils, topped with lettuce, tomato and avocado. The second one I made a taco, again crisped in the oven. I used about 1/4 cup as filling. So this recipe would make about 14 tacos.  That's a lot of tacos! Great for a party or get-together, but I would cut the recipe in half if just serving yourself or your family–assuming you are not the Duggars.

I haven't done the nutritional info on this, but since there are no nuts or nut butters, I think it's fairly low in calories per serving. Just watch what else you put in or on your tacos or taco salad.

Did the DD eat it? She tried a bite, wouldn't eat more.
Would I make this again? Yes
Rating: Salad: 4 out of 5 Forks

No comments:

Post a Comment