Friday, April 27, 2012

Tamale Casserole, Cornbread

 
 
Tamale Casserole, The Happy Herbivore, p. 167

 Cornbread, The Happy Herbivore, p. 49

This was a fun recipe to make since I got to use my really darn cute new individual casserole dishes! I loved the flavor of this dish and it truly is pretty low-cal. If you make the whole recipe of cornbread (you are supposed to use just half on the casserole), and make some muffins too, just watch out how much cornbread you end up eating, and of course how much "butter" and agave you slather on!

I made mine gluten-free with a new GF mix recipe my sister told me about (see below), and I think it held up. My daughter tried a bite of the casserole (she likes cornbread), but said it was "too sweet." I thought that was interesting. The recipe calls for some salsa, and I did use a sweet fruit salsa, so maybe a regular tomato salsa would have reduced the sweetness for her.

Did the DD eat it? She said it wasn't bad, but "too sweet." Husband ate all of his!
Would I make this again? Yes
Rating: 4 out of 5 Forks

JP's GF Flour Mix
2 cups Rice Flour
2/3 cup Potato Starch
1/3 cup Tapioca Flour
2 tsp Xanthum Gum


No comments:

Post a Comment