Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Hail to the Kale

 
Hail to the Kale, Unprocessed, p. 122

This is a very tasty raw kale salad. The dressing is high in calories, so you would need to watch what you eat the rest of the day.

I made a half recipe of the dressing (it's made with nut butter), and then realized I didn't even have a bowl big enough for half the kale. I measured out 6 oz kale and then put half my dressing (about 5 oz) on that and massaged (with the mezzaluna). I think you could even make a half recipe of the dressing and use all 24 oz of kale. (Or 1/4 recipe dressing on half the kale.) That would greatly reduce the fat/calories. I used regular water instead of coconut water.
I really like this salad. The massaging gets the kale partly chewed so it's not so much work in your mouth. Nice for those of us with jaw issues! I saw Chef AJ make this at the McDougall Celebrity Chef Weekend in Santa Rosa a few years ago and got to taste it then.
 
Warning: this is not a low-cal dish even with only half the dressing. But you get lots of protein and tons of vitamins! And it's VERY tasty. So tasty you could easily eat two portions.
 
I used the new "Mixed Baby Kales" I found at Costco. The whole bag would make a full recipe.
I searched forever to find a mezzaluna that wasn't $50 or more! I found this KitchenAid Mezzaluna at Kohls and I see it's online at Amazon for $12.00. It also comes in red.
Here is some nutritional info/per serving on a half recipe of the dressing (not including hemp seeds). This is approximate and not to be taken as the absolute truth:

1/2 recipe Dressing, (Serves 2) This info is for ONE serving: Calories: 421; Fat: 32g; Sodium (not low-salt tamari): 817.9 mg, Carb: 23.9g, Dietary Fiber 6.1 g, Sugars: 11.1g; Protein: 17 g.
Kale: 1 serving (6 oz): Calories: 47; Fat: 0.7g; Sodium: 39 mg, Carb: 9.6g, Dietary Fiber 3.4 g, Sugars: 2.1g; Protein: 3.2 g. Tons of Vitamin A, C!
 
Did the DD eat it? She liked it.
Would I make this again? Yes
Rating: Salad: 5 out of 5 Forks

No comments:

Post a Comment