Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Fettuccine Alfredo

The Happy Herbivore, page 163.

This is a simple sauce to make, although I would add a couple things to pep up the flavor. (Yes, this might pep up the number of calories a tad, too, but it shouldn't be too bad.) After I made and photographed this (and tried a bowl), I added chopped fresh basil, which I think is a more pleasant flavor than parsley, some white wine and walnuts, along with more salt and pepper. Next time I make this I will reduce the non-dairy milk by about 1/4 cup and add a 1/4 cup of white wine after I have heated the sauce. Pine nuts are nice, touch, too. To add an even creamier mouth feel and richer taste, I would add a little non-dairy sour cream to the sauce. 

I like this dish and like the fact that the protein is in the sauce! (Silken tofu.)

I used brown rice spaghetti so this version is gluten-free.
  • 1/4 cup white wine adds about 50 calories total, but reduce by 9 calories of unsweetened almond milk not added. (+10 cal/serving)
  • 2 Tablespoons non-dairy sour cream adds 85 calories. (+22 cal/serving)
  • Using 1/4 cup pine nuts or walnuts (~188 calories/an ounce!) adds 376 calories, (+94 cal/serving)
Did the DD eat it? Didn't try it.
DH: Liked it, would eat it again. (4 out of 5) He thinks regular Fettuccine Alfredo is too greasy.
Would I make this again? Yes!
Rating: 4 out of 5 Forks (5 with my additions)

No comments:

Post a Comment